[Slowhand] EC 09 Japan show

Scott Wallenberg scottw at racerxill.com
Tue Nov 17 12:04:52 EST 2009

Hey grumpy...

I miss Derek Trucks! His addition was just an incredible shot in the arm.

Scott

Topic for discussion: This looks like a "good show," but personally, I don't care for the production.
It's a personal taste, but I prefer a more essential mix of players, like a five-piece. I miss a good harp player in the mix.?Sharon and Michelle's roles?are too dominent throughout the set for my tastes. The "orchestration" is tired in that it's appears to be an imbellishment of past productions. At times, it almost comes across to me as a parody of a Clapton performance. E's solos are GOOD, but nothing new and nothing we haven't heard him do before... I loved the mid-summer E+SW tour and loved every minute of their performance from my 25th-row seat at the Oakaland Arena. My only criticism would have been to replace the gals with a good horn section, which would have been more appropriate for the?"Traffic" songs I think.
Maybe I'm just cranky today. Opinions?
(grumpy)Mel