[Slowhand] Ec gig's review, Malmo, 05-31-2010

cristianalauri at libero.it cristianalauri at libero.it
Mon Jun 14 14:10:22 EDT 2010

ERIC CLAPTON AND STEVE WINWOOD’S GIG,
MALMO ARENA, 05/31/2010

Attending Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood’s gig in Malmo Arena - 05/31/2010 -, it was really an experience I was unprepared for.

Even though I have been attending Mr. Clapton’s gigs in the latest years, I must say that the energy he brings on stage it’s every year stronger. It’s unbelievable, the way he drove strength and feelings and skills, all around on stage and in the entire arena.
We were all captured by.

As from the Set List, “Had To Cry Today” opened the concert with a smashing sound and “After Midnight” continued it, with such a grit that I was completely in the moment.

“Presence Of The Lord” gave me the image and feeling of these two guys, two friends, back to the green years, playing and playing, over and over again
Enjoying without a stop
Sharing with all of us, this magic in Music.

Jumping further then, “Crossroads” still stands as a masterpiece and every version is unforgettable for its sound, in harmony with mood and soul.

Mr. Winwood’s way of giving voice to piano and guitar is so poetical, as in “Georgia” and “Can't Find My Way Home”, for example. His warm voice is always so passionate and enchanting.

I do not need to mention that the entire audience was really in the moment with “Layla”
It was an acoustic version and it showed, according to me, all Mr. Clapton’s intensity and commitment

“Voodoo Chile” and “Cocaine” were both breathtaking, inspiring in technique and with such an overwhelming energy
Inspiring yes indeed, for all of us, if we dare to play these songs on our guitars, as our Masters did on stage that very night!

I am still there, emotionally speaking, so special it all was, especially when Mr. Clapton gave all he had in his solos, really, all he had!

Thank you, by my heart!

The song they chose as encore “Dear Mr. Fantasy” is not one of my favourite, but this is just a very personal opinion, nothing to deal with the amount of expression and feeling they played it with.

I want to spend my final words in this review, for all the musicians on stage - Gadd, Stainton, Weeks and the girls for the vocals: I believe they all are a very good entourage for Mr. Clapton’s rhythm and sound, and for the harmony they showed and shared.

To end up with, I just have a small and funny remark, for all of us in the audience: when the band played “Cocaine”, the outro let space to us, to sing out the final word ( “cocaine”
exactly!)

Well, it was the weakest I ever heard from an audience!
But Mr. Clapton, for the gentleman he truly is, thanked all of us in a very kind way.

CRISTIANA LAURI
Rome

Set List
01. Had To Cry Today