[Slowhand] Here is a story I have not heard before...:

Steve Kountz musicalchemist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 22:07:57 EDT 2010

I’m sorry to be a Doubting Thomas but…..

At a recent concert Paul McCartney recounted...

??? What recent concert???

McCartney stopped the show several times to recount stories from his past,
which are timeless pieces of rock and roll history from a man who lived it.
He told a story about how Jimi Hendrix decided to do a live cover Sgt.
Pepper’s shortly after its release and that he and the rest of The Beatles
were in the audience. He went on to explain that Hendrix added a lot to the
guitar solos, frivolously utilizing his whammy bar and putting his guitar
all out of tune. McCartney said that it got so bad that Hendrix asked if
Eric [Clapton] was in the crowd to come help him re-tune, and Clapton, after
much coaxing, obliged and got onstage to tune Hendrix’s guitar so he could
finish the show.

Not to say it’s not true but, me thinks that if it was true, the story would
have come out 43 years ago.

This is usually how the story is told:

>From wikipedia.

On June 4, 1967, the Experience played their last show in England, at
London's Saville Theatre <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saville_Theatre>,
before heading off to America. The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album had just been
released on June 1 and two Beatles (Paul
McCartney<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney>and George
Harrison <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Harrison>) were in attendance,
along with a roll call of other UK rock stardom, including: Brian
Epstein<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Epstein>,
Eric Clapton <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton>, Spencer
Davis<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Davis>,
Jack Bruce <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Bruce>, and pop singer
Lulu<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulu_(singer)>.
Hendrix opened the show with his own rendering of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Pepper%27s_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band_(song)>",
rehearsed only minutes before taking the stage, much to McCartney's
astonishment and
delight.[74]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix#cite_note-73>

*(74)^ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix#cite_ref-73>* J McDemott
with E Kramer (1992). *Setting the record straight*. Little Brown. p. 82.