[Slowhand] Paul McCartney story

Steve slowhand.net at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 10:11:03 EDT 2010

OK, I have been lured out of lurking to try to help resolve the story
of Clapton supposedly tuning Jimi's guitar.

First off, I have listened to recordings from three of McCartney's
2010 shows (Charlotte, Kansas City and Nashville). In all three of
those shows, McCartney tells a very similar story. He states that
Sgt. Peppers was released on a Friday night. Various Internet sources
disagree with this, stating that Sgt. Peppers was released on June 1,
1967, a Thursday. A minor difference.

In each story, McCartney states that Jimi used the whammy bar and
threw his guitar totally out of tune. He then looked into the
audience and said "Is Eric out there man?" McCartney states that Eric
was "cringing down" in his seat. The story differs slightly on what
Jimi said to Eric. The Charlotte version was that Jimi looked at him
and said "You can't tune this for me, man?" In Nashville, Jimi
supposedly said "Will you come and tune this for me, man?" The same
thing was said in Kansas City with a slight addition. McCartney
imitates Eric saying "No" both while cringing down and also in
response to being asked to tune the guitar. In none of those three
concerts did McCartney state that Clapton actually did come up and
tune Hendrix' guitar.

The Jimi Hendrix Wiki addresses the evening: "On June 4, 1967, the
Experience played their last show in England, at London's Saville
Theatre, before heading off to America. The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album
had just been released on June 1 and two Beatles (Paul McCartney and
George Harrison) were in attendance, along with a roll call of other
UK rock stardom, including: Brian Epstein, Eric Clapton, Spencer
Davis, Jack Bruce, and pop singer Lulu. Hendrix opened the show with
his own rendering of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band",
rehearsed only minutes before taking the stage, much to McCartney's
astonishment and delight.[74]" Reference 74 is "J McDemott with E
Kramer (1992). Setting the record straight. Little Brown. p. 82."

Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce could have been in attendance on June 4,
1967. According to the Clapton tourography (which I really, really
wish could be updated) Cream performed on Saturday, June 3, 1967 at
the Ram Jam Club in London-Brixton and would not perform again until
Sunday, June 11, 1967 at the Starlite Ballroom in London-Greenford.

Hope that helps!

Steve