[Slowhand] 3 Cream questions

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Sun Feb 26 12:55:27 EST 2012

Tone, re:

> 2) On the DCC Gold Wheels Of Fire we have the missing part of the jam slotted in giving us the full version.  On the TWTD box set there is an extra 8 bars in the last "It is a cold winter" section.  How come?

FWIW, it's only 2 bars - 8 beats.

Regardless, I just checked, and TWTD has the following two bars edited
in. To explain:

DCC: (1) jam -> (2) 2 bars (4/4, 3/4; 7 beats) -> (3) 2 bars (4/4,
4/4; 8 beats) -> (4) "It is a cold winter..."

TWTD: (1) jam -> (3) 2 bars (4/4, 4/4; 8 beats) -> (2) 2 bars (4/4,
3/4; 7 beats) -> (3) 2 bars (4/4, 4/4; 8 beats) -> (4) "It is a cold
winter..."

To be clear, the section with two 4/4 bars was copied and inserted
immediately after the jam. Why, I'm not sure.

> 3) And this is a question I asked way back in 2004 when the Deluxe Disraeli Gears came out.  But no one replied.  If all the out-takes and extra live Cream tracks were lost in the Great Atlantic Tape Arhive Fire. how is it they managed to dig up a version of Eric singing Blue Condition?

Most or all of the 1" 8-track tapes were (apparently) lost in the
fire, as they were stored separately. However, various mixes (1/4"
mono and stereo) were apparently stored with the masters, and thus did
not succumb to the fire. A number of rough live mixes survived this
way.

Luke