[Slowhand] After Midnight "Michelob" versions

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Tue Mar 27 11:11:21 EDT 2012

I'm curious if anybody knows the details behind the various versions
of After Midnight from 1988. I had previously assumed the version on
Crossroads was from the Michelob commercial, but that isn't the case,
and there are various edits:

- Crossroads (4:05) - apparently cut short to fit
- Japanese Cream of Eric Clapton and UK CD single (5:04) - "Extended
Version" Just a longer fade? I haven't heard it.
- US single (3:37) - just an earlier fade?
- bootleg (?) version (6:22) - Somebody mentioned this in a post, but
I don't know anything about it.

As for the commercial itself, it seems to be a completely different
recording. The tempo seems faster, and Eric's vocal is clearly
different. He puts in a pause between "mid" and "night", unlike the
version on Crossroads. Has this performance ever been released
anywhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uQP6gjQ7N0

Luke