[Slowhand] Slowhand Digest, Vol 21, Issue 21

Woff woff at tpg.com.au
Thu Mar 14 15:16:52 EDT 2013

A couple of days back, Tone wrote:

Why doesn't he play with the fire he had with Mayall when he was 20, rather than like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli?

[snip]

It may have been a lot easier for us if Eric had bitten the dust after Blind Faith.

We'd always have the great memories of the halcyon days of Cream, Mayall, Powerhouse, Yardbirds and Blind Faith.

Rather than the disappointment with the following fluff:

Delaney and Bonnie
Derek and The Dominos
461 Ocean Boulevard
EC Was Here
Slowhand
Just One Night
Behind The Sun
Edge Of Darkness
Unplugged

>From The Cradle

Pilgrim
One More Care One More Rider
Revisiting Robert Johnson (in depth)

Collaborating with
BB King
Jeff Beck
Steve Winwood
Bob Dylan
Wynton Marsalis

Reforming Cream,
Playing at Mayall's 70th

Legends at Montreux
Crossroads guitar festivals

[snip]

I'd like to make a couple of comments - and don't take this personally, it is not a criticism of those who share this view, just an alternate opinion.

Maybe he is an old man now? My taste in music has changed since I was twenty - is it ureasonable that his has too?

I find plenty to like in quite a few of the albums you list above - a couple of those are amongst my favourite albums.

I concede that some of his studio albums have been less than stellar

EC has also stated that he is lazy and thus he likes to have extra guitarist(s) and/or keyboards so he can ease off a bit when playing live - but I can relate to laziness, so I don't criticize him for that!!

I am a little sad for you that you feel that way and seemingly can't enjoy much of what he has done since Blind Faith.

Would you want to be doing the exact same job you were doing 50 years ago, day in day out, without change? I know I wouldn't.

Cheers
Woff