[Slowhand] Old Sock - Ouch

Jason Linden jason461 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 16:47:42 EDT 2013

Finally got hold of the new album. It is terrible.

Now let me be clear. I don't necessarily care about guitar solos. I like
lots of music. I go from Armstrong and Ellington to Phoenix and Lupe
Fiasco. I really liked "Clapton." I thought it was well constructed with
interesting song choices and excellent arrangements. It worked as an album
and the songs worked individually. I would have been quite happy with more
of that. So again: I'm not asking for Disraeli Gears.

But Old Sock is awful. Everything is paced the same. Too many saccharine
strings and backing vocals. Too much treacly piano.

I think it's Climie. I've liked some of the stuff he's worked on, but it
all has the same weak spots. Weak spots that were notably absent from the
last album which Climie seems to have had no part in. Clapton doesn't need
flash, but he does need to get down a bit to really be good. Ge doesn't do
that here.

-Jason