[Slowhand] Old Sock

shanahan tone at mossiehigh.com
Fri Mar 15 03:27:32 EDT 2013

Hi there,

Anyone out there old enough to remember when Dylan released Self Portrait?

1) Terrible cover

2) Songs done in a completely different way

3) Lots of cover versions

4) General consensus at the time.."this is awful, what's he doing"?

This was definitely a purpose move on Dylan's part.

Old Sock:

1) Eric puts out an album with a terrible cover

2) Songs done in a completely different way

3) All cover versions

4) General consensus "this is awful, what's he doing"?

I think this is a purpose move on Eric's part.

On the cover we can see his double chins and his wrinkly neck, he hasn't
shaved, daggy old sun glasses and hat to protect his head, collar of his
shirt a little uneven.

He looks just like an old man.

That's the point he's conveying.

He's 68 at the end of the month and he IS an old man.

This is intentional.

He's singing songs he likes from the past, cause he doesn't have anything to
prove anymore.

He wants to do this and he doesn't care about the reaction, like or lump it.

He's done everything!

No one has come close to covering the ground he has from 1963 - 2012.

I'll just repeat that "NO ONE has come close"

Beatles, Dylan, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young etc, are all class
acts and have superb albums, but none of them have covered the wide musical
variety that our Eric has over the years.

I'll buy it, I'll play it a few times and if I like it I'll play it a little
more.

If I don't like it I'll slot it into its place in my Clapton collection and
come back to It later if I feel like.

Then I'll choose from his huge catalogue and decide what to play instead and
probably reach for 'Hideaway' from Live Cream Volume II or maybe 'Water On
The Ground' from Crossroads 2.

One thing for sure, I won't hate Eric for putting the album out and
certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

Cheers

Tone