[Slowhand] Facebook ( was re: Hello )

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Thu Apr 14 11:42:12 EDT 2016

Fabio asks...
> I've met a LOT of my old folks from here at Facebook already. Even Bobby
> Withlock and Marc Roberty are there! Somebody just sugested we should
> mirror the dogest into a more modern platform. Not sure if David Hillman
> is on Facebook and would be willing to do it. Somebody else just said
> that we are still out there with things to talk about EC, just using
> different medias. E-mail Digest are kinda dead for many years now. I
> know it's not everybody on Facebook, but most folks are. The old
> platform is nostalgic only, not practical to keep running.
> If D. Hillman or someone is interested to step ahead and open a Facebook
> community with the old members, that would be fantastic! I just don't do
> it myself because my first child is going to be born next week and my
> head will be far far away for the next months.

    I am not on Facebook, and not going to be on Facebook.  My
understanding is that there's already at least one group there anyway, so
another would seem to be redundant.

    For people who prefer that medium, I believe it already exists.  For
people who don't, this Digest option exists as well.  Like most things in
life, it'll be whatever you make of it.

--
  David Hillman

PS   For the record, I don't consider myself very old yet, and I'll be
quite shocked if I outlive electronic mail.  It's practicality at present
exceeds any other communication medium... maybe ever.  Depending on whose
numbers you believe, people with electronic mail outnumber people on
Facebook by 7 or 8 to 1.  Odds are good that Facebook will go the way of
Myspace and AOL soon enough... but we still haven't even invented whatever
will eventually kill e-mail.