[Slowhand] Jim Gordon

Sol Fischler sol.fischler at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 08:06:04 EDT 2016

I've been saying this for years -- Jim Gordon's approach, for me, is far & beyond that of any other drummer.  His knowledge of the music -- where to drive and where to punctuate -- gives a feel to a song that just isn't present in most other drummers' playing.  It goes way beyond fast, or hard, or loud.  There's a touch -- a finesse -- that I think sets him apart.
I listen to anything on the Rainbow Concert, and then go back to live D&D and it just doesn't compare, regardless of the "superstar" lineup at the Rainbow.
I listen to Traffic's On the Road, and then go back to Welcome to the Canteen.  Ditto.

One of the songs that I think best illustrates his contribution to a song is Evil.  Track that down and listen to his punctuation -- and how the drums drive you into each following phrase.  Great stuff.

-- Sol

I agree wholeheartedly about Gordon. I'm not usually into drum solos but his solo on the D&D live version of Let It Rain is fabulous. I love the false ending and how they then kick back into "Rain...Rain". Just wonderful musicianship. D&D were a very tight unit and he was a major part of that. So sad how he's ended up though.

Cheers
Grant.