[StBernard] Governor Blanco advocates for LA businesses and workers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 4 11:46:52 EDT 2005

Governor restates to President that La. businesses be given priority in federal contracts,
Asks that state's workers be covered under Davis-Bacon Act

BATON ROUGE-- - Louisiana Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco asked President Bush to help the families and businesses of her state by giving them priority in hiring and contracting as Louisiana continues to recover from the catastrophic impact of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Last month the Governor asked the President to give Louisiana businesses priority in contracting for the rebuilding of Louisiana. In a September 30, letter she reiterated her request and wrote, "A key part of this request is to make sure that Louisiana's businesses and workers are the ones who are given the opportunity to do the work of rebuilding our state. This helps our citizens support their families with good paying jobs and boosts our state's battered economy."

In the letter, Governor Blanco also asked President Bush to exempt Louisiana from his Executive Order suspending provisions of the Davis-Bacon Act for the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina. The Davis-Bacon Act requires federal contractors on federally funded projects to pay workers prevailing wages in the area where the work is conducted and encourages apprenticeship and training programs for women and minorities.

"In many instances, our workers are performing their same functions for far less money at a time when they are in desperate need of adequate wages. Our own companies are losing contracts when they are competing against outside companies who are taking advantage of your order by paying incredibly low wages and bringing in workers from elsewhere," the Governor wrote. "Our state and our economy have already been devastated. I don't think Louisiana's workers should be given less consideration in wages than other Americans just because we have suffered a disaster."

The Governor also pointed out that just as the recovery workers after the September 11, 2001 terror attack in New York were provided the protection of the Davis-Bacon Act, Louisiana workers should also be able to count on the financial stability that the Act is intended to provide.

"Supporting hard working Louisiana workers is more important now than ever before," Governor Blanco added. "By rescinding the applicability of your suspension and giving Louisiana businesses contracting priority by the federal government, you will enable the State of Louisiana and its citizens to support their families with good jobs and simultaneously and effectively rebuild our infrastructure and economy."

# # #

September 30, 2005

The President
The White House
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

As the State of Louisiana continues to recover from the catastrophic impact of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, we must ensure that the citizens of our State have every possible opportunity to restore their lives.

On September 15, 2005, I wrote to ask that you give Louisiana businesses priority in contracting for the rebuilding of Louisiana. Approval of this request will enable Louisiana's businesses and families to recover and allow for the stabilization of our state's economy. A key part of this request is to make sure that Louisiana businesses and Louisiana workers are the ones who are given the opportunity to do the work of rebuilding our state. This helps our citizens support their families with good jobs and boosts our state's battered economy.

As I discussed with you during one of our last meetings on the Iwo Jima, suspending the Davis-Bacon Act has unanticipated consequences. In many instances, our workers are performing their same functions for far less money at a time when they are in desperate need of adequate wages. Our own companies are losing contracts when they are competing against outside companies who are taking advantage of your order by paying incredibly low wages and bringing in workers from elsewhere.

Today, I respectfully request that you exempt Louisiana from the applicability of your September 8, 2005 Executive Order that suspends provisions of the Davis-Bacon Act for the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina. The Davis-Bacon Act requires federal contractors on federally funded projects to pay workers prevailing wages in the area where the work is conducted and encourages apprenticeship and training programs for women and minorities. Our state and our economy have already been devastated. I don't think Louisiana's workers should be given less consideration in wages than other Americans just because we have suffered a disaster. Just as the recovery workers after the September 11, 2001 terror attack in New York were provided the protection of Davis-Bacon Act, Louisiana workers should be able to count on the financial stability this Act is intended to provide. Supporting hard working Louisiana workers is more important now than ever before.

By rescinding the applicability of your suspension and giving Louisiana businesses contracting priority by the federal government, you will enable the State of Louisiana and its citizens to support their families with good jobs and simultaneously and effectively rebuild our infrastructure and economy.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Governor

cc: Secretary Elaine Chao