[StBernard] A New St. Bernard Awaits You

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 17 21:45:17 EST 2005

Marvin:

I like your ideas. This really sounds GREAT, especially the landscaping,
green spaces, parish entrances, River Park, and ESPECIALLY the state of the
art Sport Complex. I would just hope they don't forget about the girls
(with regard to the sports complex). Also, you need to also look at
Alpharetta, GA for architectural ideas... It's beautiful up there.

That all being said, in my humble opinion, the most important issue is what
you have listed as #1 - CLOSE MRGO. I would also add to that: build the
levees higher and stronger to withstand a CAT 5. Without these things
being done, #2 on down on your list does NOT mean a thing. All of the
state of the art improvements will be gone when KATRINA II rolls through if
the protection isn't there. Not to mention, #1 has to be done FIRST,
before you even think about starting #2.

I did hear that Junior is already squirming on the closure of MRGO. What
Junior needs to say is "NO DEAL, CLOSE MRGO IF YOU WANT THIS PARISH
REBUILT!" I feel he is scared that some will move back no matter what the
"Hurricane Protection Status" is and will blame him when the next storm
comes in and they have nothing to protect them. What the people need to
understand is that THE FLOOD GATE WON'T PROTECT THEM EITHER. Junior NEEDS
take the stance of, "Do what it takes to protect this area (MRGO CLOSED AND
THE BEST LEVEE SYSTEM EVER) or we won't rebuild it". Let it become marsh
land, industrial, let the State take it over, whatever. I know we all love
our Parish, but does it honestly make good sense to leave ourselves that
vulnerable again? Who wants to live in the "Hurricane Buffer Zone" for
everyone North of here? Without the proper protection, ANY ATTEMPT TO
REBUILD ONE YARD SHED WOULD BE A FUTILE ONE!

-Tony Henry