[StBernard] EPA Halts Debris Removal in Murphy Spill Area

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 17 22:27:18 EST 2005

I just sent a lengthy email to the website for the head of EPA who made
statements to the media on 11/10/05 about the concerns EPA has about the
Murphy spill area. My point to him was that it has been nearly three months
after the storm, and flood damage is bad enough to deal with, but the mounds
of debris from gutting our homes and businesses is left to fester in our
neighborhoods while discussions continue about where it should go, who
should take it away. and when they will take it. While it's commendable that
so many entities have environmental concerns, where is the sense of urgency
to get this resolved for the public health of those in the area? Many people
have spent enormous sums of money and time to gut their homes and businesses
only to have it fester on the lawns and medians.

I also underscored the issue as to where we are to go while this discussion
continues. FEMA has closed shelters and is stopping hotel payments on Dec.
1. FEMA can't put a trailer in my driveway, although they called to offer,
if EPA thinks the trash is too hazardous to go into a regular landfill and
that we shouldn't live there until it's remediated. Our employers are have
spent months trying to get trailers for employees, and we wait on that, too.
If this situation is all due to the Murphy spill, why hasn't EPA mandated
debris cleanup as immediately as they called for the direct removal of the
oil? Does FEMA extend the 18 months of assistance in getting on our feet,
since the clock ticked away trying to resolve this issue?

I trust that our elected officials in St. Bernard are working hard on this
debris disposal issue. I want us citizens to focus on achieving results,
like seeking trucks haul it away. We, the 1,700 families and businesses in
the oil spill area, need to be continually informed as to where the
obstacles are in resolving the disposal of our debris. That's a lot of
people who are affected. If we must get involved and be visible and vocal in
order to assist our local officials resolving this on a state and federal
level, then so be it.

To our parish government, if we the oil spill area people can put pressure
on the state and feds to resolve this now, please let that be publicized. We
want our debris removed like eveyone else who wants St. Bernard to recover
and rebuild. And if we are held in a Catch-22 situation, we all lose.

Isn't leaving it in our streets for months a worse option than sending it to
the wrong landfill?

Deborah Keller