[StBernard] After gutting, what's the next step? + Appealing the Inspection Report.

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 23 08:34:46 EST 2005

My grandmother's house in Old Arabi was gutted to the studs in the main
living area. She had 6 feet of water inside of her house. The house
itself was raised about two feet off of the ground. The ceiling was
untouched and left intact. So was the attic storage area.

She is concerned that she has to raise the house. Am I correct in assuming
that because her house is in Zone B and therefore is above the BFE that it
does not need to be raised any higher?

How long should the studs be left exposed to dry? The studs in the house
look to be mostly free of mold. However the studs in the garage are
covered with a thick green mold.

The house was originally built with a wood facade. Bricks were added
later over the wood. How does one treat both the studs and the wood in
between the studs and the bricks for mold? Has anyone had this done or
had this done? Could it be a DIY project or should it be handled
professionally? Which companies do this? Can the house be re-wired for
electricity while it's drying out?

It seems that some people in St. Bernard are having hard times finding
local electricians to re-wire houses. Can an electrician from outside of
the parish be used?

How do we go about appealing an inspection report? While the main
building of my grandmother's house was in the 10%-30% zone, the slab
garage was listed as a 'dwelling' that is 30%-60% damaged. In addition
there was another out-building which is connected neighbor's property as
shared carport. The back cinderblock wall of the structure was knocked
down by flood waters, but it was not structurally significant. This was
not listed at all.

Thanks!

--

James Hodges