[StBernard] Thanksgiving Thanks

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 23 18:24:58 EST 2005

Westley:

As we begin the holiday season there is no better time to cast aside our
disappointments, even though we may have valid reasons for them, and ponder
for a moment our blessings. I remember Hurricane Betsy in 1965, and although
I don't mean to compare it to Katrina, none-the-less it was a shock and a
financial burden to everyone impacted. If flood insurance was around back
then, I was too young to be know, and from what I remember, the federal
government provided assistance via a 3% SBA loan. Other than that, the only
assistance that stands out to me was the daily trips throughout Arabi by the
Salvation Army. They provided us with two hot meals every day, beginning
immediately after the flood waters receded. I also recall living in a house
that was gutted, with plastic stapled across the walls for insulation until
we could buy insulation and hang paneling. Neighbors were helping
neighbors, and the nay-sayers that said Arabi was "lost" were proven wrong.

Like many others, I yearn for the opportunity to return home for more than a
weekend of work. I want to see my neighbors and friends again, but recognize
that life will be different than before. The past months since Katrina hit
St. Bernard have been hard on all of us, but especially those parish
officials and dedicated volunteers who have weathered the worse of
conditions, often being the brunt of someones criticism which no doubt was
not intended for the worker, but a result of frustration.

On that note, I offer my best wishes to everyone in St. Bernard, and my
thanks to those volunteers throughout the country that have embraced us
refugees. I would like to extend a personal thanks to both you and to Craig
Taffaro, for your valuable efforts to maintain this web-site, and for
Craig's continued diligence to insure that we are kept informed, and in
addressing the many issues directed to him for his assistance. I know there
are others in the parish making a difference, including our deputies,
fireman, and elected officials. All of you have earned our respect and
admiration.

I hope that everyone, wherever they are currently staying, will have a
wonderful Thanksgiving, and that our parish will continue to move forward,
encouraging more families and businesses to return "home". I have no doubt
that the "new" St. Bernard will be better than ever; we just have to be
patient and remember that God will help us during these difficult times.

--
John F. Richardson