[StBernard] Condemnation/Mitigation Issues

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 19 22:22:50 EST 2005

I too have reservations, and concerns, and unanswered questions concerning
my properties.... I have a duplex located on the corner of Laplace and E.
Liberaux Sts. (Behind the old Faust Junkyard), a home on E. Urquhart St.
I am not concerned about the E. Urquhart St. Property, as its a 2-story,
and, only had 7' of flood water - -it's very salvageable. Guttina dna
cleaning should be complete this week. My concern lies with my other
property, which was built in 1978. I am hesitant to spend a drop of sweat,
or a dime, on it with regards to gutting/cleaning, as it had water over the
roof, as did the entire neighborhood. I understand there has been talk of
turning this area into greenspace - - the area is all duplexes - - so as to
reduce population density. I have also heard talk that this area may be
deenmed to be turned into green space. With that option a possibility, I
have drug my feet with regards to cleaning/gutting. I had hoped that the
Parish Govt would have some decisions, before they would have asked us, the
property owners to make wrong decisions, possibly based on rumor. I just
don't understand ho people can be expected to make these major decisions,
regarding MAJOR investments, and not have the guidance of the Parish Govt.
If there is to be a plan, then, it must be made known to the citizenry, if
the citenzry is to be expteced to decide on demolishing, perhaps, the only
assest some will have ever owned. I implore the council to think about
this , before locking us all into Jan 31, as the deadline - - unless there
are plans to go public with whatever guidelines are to be adhered to. If
not,then there's a good chance the parish will be a parish of blighted
properties - - blighted, not due to neglect of the owners, but, blighted as
a result of uninformed owners, owners wanting to be able to get the most $
out of their investments, such as any businees is, has, and, will continue
to do..... Again, Council members, please think hard and long about this,
before you cast your votes.....

Thank You

Charlie