[StBernard] KATRINA SURVIVORS: Untold Stories

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 6 21:04:55 EST 2006

It is the sad state of humanity that the media flocks to horror and anarchy
quicker than it does to oh lets say, 10,000 honest hard working people
quietly try to build an entire Parish and their lives. I take comfort in
knowing we will receive your rewards in heaven and not from Oprah. P.S. A
friend of mine from Chicago called and she asked me what was new; I told her
about cleaning 100's of shingles from my yard and raking mud off my grass
and not being able to get a trailer and we could all go on and on, and you
know what she said? "Oh, are you still talking about Katrina? What's going
on in reality, like your career, your marriage, your social life?" People
just don't get the scope of this. Like, the drama is over, get over it and
get on with life. There is not going to be any reality until our home is
right again. Sadly, we have already become part of a heap of old headlines,
and twice as sad, the only time St. Bernard did make the headlines was in
regards to dog-shootings and St. Rita's tragedy. It seems human nature that
if it didn't happen in your own backyard, you are only watching the news and
you will see something different tomorrow because you are already bored with
today. I am not asking for cash or publicity; just emotional support and a
few good laughs to get me through. You guys are the best! Mudpie