[StBernard] Messages

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 24 22:44:11 EST 2006

First off, I want to thank everyone who subscribes to this list and those
who contribute to it.

The major reason behind the list was first to help people locate friends and
family. It then evolved to be a primary source of information coming out of
St. Bernard, especially while the parish was closed because of flood waters.

Since that time, it has evolved to become a method for people ask questions,
share tips, and start to rebuild St. Bernard. Even if we can't be physical
neighbors, we can be electronic neighbors.

Now, just as in real life, with political conversations, every now and then
the game gets bumped a bit too much and the tilt light goes on forcing
everyone to take a breather.

I felt I had to stop the recall discussion because it was turning into
name-calling and attacking people because they belonged to a particular
political party. Everyone has their own reason for being a Republican,
Democrat, Independent, Greenie, or whatever. In local politics, it just
doesn't matter.

Heck, I've relocated to Thibodaux, which is like a small version of St.
Bernard. In the short time I've been here, I've played poker with a judge
and have lunch almost weekly with the Mayor. Try that in New Orleans.

With local politicians, you can go knock on their front door if you have a
problem. Depending on your demeanor, they even invite you to discuss
whatever problem you are having, even if you are in a different district.
You just can't do that with a national politician, unless your name is Jack
Abramhoff (sorry, couldn't resist).

This is a high-volume list, especially for folks who are not used to get
more than a couple of emails a day. For their sake, and a few other
reasons, I will continue to monitor emails and block those I think don't
accomplish anything good. It has absolutely nothing to do with trying to
protect any politician.

I don't owe a single political figure any favors and none of them owe me
anything.

Westley