[StBernard] TUNGSTEN Begin Work On New Material - Apr. 14, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 14 23:08:39 EDT 2006

TUNGSTEN Begin Work On New Material - Apr. 14, 2006

On April 10-11, 2006, TUNGSTEN members Mark Talamo (drums) and Al Hodge (vocals and guitar) met in Madisonville, Louisiana at the new H/T studio for the first time to collaborate on some new music since Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast on August 29, 2005 and destroyed their hometown of Chalmette, Louisiana.

Hodge had this to say about the gathering: "We hadn't seen each other in almost eight months since I moved out to Texas after the storm. It was great to see Mark and his family again and for us to get together and start working on songs again as well. When I walked in there to start jamming some new songs with Mark it felt like those eight months didn't even happen. It's like we picked up right where we left off and wrote some killer greasy/bluesy metal tunes that have the TUNGSTEN stamp on them. Man, we were just smiling from ear to ear just jamming away. It was great to create music with Mark again."

So what should be expected from the next TUNGSTEN record?

"After what we went through with Hurricane Katrina as individuals, as families, as a community, as a state, as a nation, and as a band, it's obvious what the next record is going to be about… the anger, the despair, the grief, the desperation and the recovery of dealing with the greatest national disaster to ever hit American soil," Hodge explained. "Any band or songwriter that felt the wrath of the storm will attest to that, if they were from the Gulf Coast and have something to say on their next recording. And I know that we have a lot to say this time."

TUNGSTEN will continue working on new material through the summer, with plans to have their sixth, as-yet-untitled album out by late 2006 or early 2007.