[StBernard] Question on FEMA elevation guidelines

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 14 23:11:45 EDT 2006

According to an article on nola.com:

St. Bernard decides

In St. Bernard Parish, where nearly every house flooded, government
officials said they plan to give the FEMA flood advisories the force of law
in about two weeks, making elevation standards mandatory for all owners of
homes with more than 50 percent damage.

Mike Hunnicutt, St. Bernard Parish director of community development, said
the advisories could affect as many as 10,000 of the parish's 27,000 homes.
Hunnicutt said his office has seen a steady stream of owners trying to
certify that their damage is less than 50 percent in the past few months.

However, the city of New Orleans also has this info:

City officials plan to negotiate an exception for "B" flood zones with FEMA
officials, Meffert said. "It's a pretty obvious exception, places that
didn't take on water," he said. "I don't expect we'll have any trouble
convincing FEMA."

QUESTION: Our house is in a "B" flood zone. Is St. Bernard going to make an
exception as NOLA is intending to do for properties in B flood zones?

Jim York