[StBernard] LRA Statement re Status of Road Home Housing Program

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 30 13:26:13 EDT 2006

Jer,

The real issue, regardless of which A zone one may reside in is the actual
elevation of the house- one could be in an A zone and decide to voluntarily
take some mitigation steps to improve the flood proofing of the house,
especially if it is an easily raised house or some other action, such as a
sub-floor. The point is that residents in a B zone will not have to do
anything and the A zone residents who are compliant will not have to do
anything either. Insurance issues for flood will not be any different for A
zone or B zone from before and after based on compliance. Homeowners is a
different issue determined by the private industry or the FAIR plan. For
example the house I am repairing (in a B zone) to move into will have
maximum flood insurance and will cost less than my previous house (in an A
zone) that had less coverage. However, my homeowners premium tripled, but I
d id raise the coverage, and will have an 2% deductible for wind and hail as
a separate component of the policy.

Regarding the slab issue- it is being discussed and the main point on the
table is the direction of new construction homes and homes that wish to
demolish and rebuild. The additional concept for elevation is to also
assist in better sewerage service.

As far as the V zone- it is a different calculation for flood insurance, but
there are elevation requirements that still must be met and those homes that
were non-compliant will have to meet the elevation requirements.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig