[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Returning Residents

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 30 20:48:22 EDT 2006

Westley, didn't see an opt-out thing in the email. When I sent it to you I
should have brought up the view with full headers. I did that afterwards,
and saw it was coming from an Eatel i.p. address. Thought about going to
internic and doing a whois on the i.p. but just though the hell with it.
Marked it as spam and deleted.

Jim

Craig,

I was wondering that myself. Double-checked and my email list is
password
protected, and even then, some addresses are marked as private so
they don't
show up as readily.

Unfortunately, I think what they did do is grab them from the
parishes web
site off the Returning Residents list. Naturally, both you and Jim
are on
the returning list and received the emails.

These people, besides being low-life spammers, are also claiming to
have had
a business address on Packenham Drive that was flooded because of
the storm.

Web searches have only provided the Gonzales address and reverse
searches of
the Chalmette phone number they provide shows no matches. Since the
online
databases are usually at least 6-12 months out of date, this tells
me they
were not in Chalmette prior to the storm.

I may be wrong, but only the parish or Sheriff's office can tell us
if they
were licensed in St. Bernard prior to Katrina.

I'm not seeing it in the sample that Jim sent, did they provide a
link to be
removed from their email list? I believe that it is a Federal crime
to send
unsolicited email, especially without a method of removal. I also
think the
Parish may be able to pursue them from stealing the names and email
addresses off of the parishes web site for unapproved usage.

I guess they are scrambling for whatever business they can get since
they
have apparently also lost out on some Corps of Engineers projects.

Westley