[StBernard] Governor sees The Road Home one step closer to being fully funded in Congress

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 5 02:12:36 EDT 2006

Governor sees The Road Home one step closer to being fully funded in
Congress

"I applaud the U. S. Senate for voting today to approve the emergency
supplemental appropriations bill, which included our entire request of $4.2
billion for housing and an additional $2.2 billion for levees.

"These funds will act as the linchpin of our recovery, as we continue to
rebuild, repair and restore our lives in the aftermath of Katrina.

"Because of Congress's support, the people of Louisiana will soon have the
federal resources to help rebuild their cities, neighborhoods and homes
safely.

"Now, there is just one hurdle left to clear before we can get help to
homeowners. As we enter the final phase of this process, I urge the
Conferees to approve our funding requests in their entirety. We cannot
forget that Louisiana is facing the largest recovery, redevelopment and
planning effort in American history.

"We've given Congress and the White House a very clear plan explaining
exactly how many homes were destroyed and need to be repaired. Anything less
than the $4.2 billion approved by both the Senate and the House for "The
Road Home" will jeopardize our recovery.

"I would also ask the Conferees to remember that according to President Bush
and the Army Corps of Engineers, anything less than the $2.2 billion they
requested to repair our levees will continue to leave us unprotected. This
is an unacceptable premise, considering hurricane season is less than thirty
days away.

"Make no mistake - I am hopeful and encouraged by today's vote as it moves
us one step closer to getting help to the citizens of Louisiana as they so
rightfully deserve. We look forward to working with Congress and the White
House as this bill nears the end of the legislative process.

"Again, we are grateful for the support shown by Congress and we ask that
they see this bill through to the end."

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's
People www.louisianahelp.org