[StBernard] Road Home applications reach 77,281

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 2 21:28:34 EST 2006

By CityBusiness staff report

BATON ROUGE - More than 77,000 eligible homeowners have applied for a Road
Home award. Officials pegged applications at 77,281 of a potential 123,000
either online or through the mail.

Almost 55,000 appointment letters have been mailed to applicants and 16,370
interviews have been completed at one of the 10 Housing Assistance Centers
statewide.

"For months, we have been encouraging Louisiana residents who have property
damage from either of the hurricanes to apply to the program," said Mike
Byrne, chief program executive. "From the number of applications we've
received, people are doing as we've asked. They are applying, and by doing
so, they are actively involved in getting their lives in Louisiana back on
track. While we're pleased with the number of applications we've received to
date, we continue to encourage all homeowners who have yet to apply to do so
now."

Homeowners are still slow to accept the Road Home awards with just 15 doing
so by the latest Road Home count. The average award calculated is $57,760
with $34.5 million in benefits calculated. The Road Home has $7.5 billion to
distribute in federal funding.

Homeowners must apply online or submit a hard copy application whether or
not they previously registered for The Road Home. Homeowners can complete
their application online at www.road2LA.org or request a hard copy
application by calling (888) 762-3252. TTY callers use 711 relay or
800.846.5277.

Homeowners will receive an invitation to schedule an interview after
applying. After the interview, a home evaluation is scheduled while program
experts verify application documentation. Once verification is completed,
final program eligibility is determined. For eligible applicants, an award
amount is calculated and a letter explaining the award amount associated
with each option: rebuild, sell or buyout-is sent to the homeowner.

To date, 675 homeowners have been notified of their award amounts and stand
at the threshold of choosing an award and going to closing. After closing,
the award funds are deposited into an account with a financial institution
of the homeowner's choice.
A total of $37,500 is being made available to homeowners to protect their
homes against future water and wind damages . Eligible Road Home applicants
may receive up to $30,000 to elevate homes and an additional $7,500 to
elevate furnaces, water heaters, washers and dryers or to reinforce garage
doors.

The maximum grant through The Road Home program is $150,000. Homeowners who
receive $30,000 from the National Flood Insurance Program through Increased
Cost of Compliance are also eligible for the elevation grant from The Road
Home program. The benefit under both programs provides homeowners up to
$60,000 to elevate their homes.

The Road Home program is the largest single housing recovery program in U.S