[StBernard] LRA Chairman Francis to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 7 21:47:53 EST 2006

LRA Chairman Francis to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom

Walter Isaacson Issues Statement Congratulating Dr. Francis on Commendation

BATON ROUGE, La. (December 7, 2006) - On behalf of the Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Board of Directors, Vice Chairman Walter Isaacson issued the following statement on Chairman Norman Francis being awarded with the Presidential Medal of Freedom:

"Norman is a living saint. Ever since he used to give me rides home from New Orleans City Hall 30 years ago, I've tried to live up to his goodness. So do all who meet him, for he has that touch. Hurricanes test character or, in Norman's case, reveal character. He was one of the quiet heroes. We are lucky to have him in our midst."

President George W. Bush announced today the recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Nation's highest civil award.

Established by Executive Order 11085 in 1963, the Medal may be awarded by the President "to any person who has made an especially meritorious contribution to (1) the security or national interests of the United States, or (2) world peace, or (3) cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

President Bush will honor Dr. Francis and other recipients at a White House ceremony on Friday, December 15, 2006. View the White House news release here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/12/20061207-2.html <http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/12/20061207-2.html> .

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses and inflicting about $25 billion in insured losses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###