[StBernard] FIELD OF DREAMS

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 7 23:06:53 EST 2007

Hi Craig,

I have to admit that I did not see the original article about the
plans for this recreation development. I did hear a bit about it months ago
at one of the meetings we attended for our library and Ms. Ethel started to
tell me about it at a Solinet/library meeting in Baton Rouge. I didn't
realize this would happen so fast.

Please don't think this is a criticism, but...how is it that there's
enough funds attainable/available for a project of this magnitude yet, we
can't make plans for a new library? (Or sewerage repairs) We should be
ahead of the game as we have the already have the property? I may not have
a good understanding as to how the parish controls these
entities--recreation department, library, road department, etc, but so far
we haven't been able to just go ahead without the council's approval for
whatever plans we make. Can the recreation department do that? Do they
have to deal with the same type of rules and regulations we have so far?
Maybe what I'm wanting to know is did the parish go after the funds for this
project? Was there a person who was their advocate with FEMA/ others? If
so, can this person work with the library?

We have three years from the day we open the doors to our temporary
site to figure out where we are going. If we can make the same progress
towards funding that the recreatiion department it would seem to make a new
library--a gathering place for ALL parish residents-- much more of a
reality.

Thanks for letting me ask. Please educate me. I know it's probably
not as simple as one would think. It usually isn't when it come to the
library. I guess I'm just a bit frustrated with the lack of progress we have
made so far. Especially when we attend meetiings and hear other
parishes/counties success stories and the esteem their residents and
sometimes their leaders hold their libraries.

Thanks,

Janet