[StBernard] Your public support is critical!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 9 23:26:50 EST 2007

March 9, 2007

Dear friends,

Your public support is critical!

I want to thank the members of the Livingston Parish Executive Committee and
the Greater New Orleans Republicans for officially offering their
endorsement of our campaign! It is exciting to hear that organizations
statewide are offering their support for our efforts to move Louisiana
forward.

We would be honored to have your public support as well as part of our
Parish Leadership Teams. If you would be willing to let us use your name
publicly as a supporter, please click here.
<http://www.bobbyjindal.com/volunteer.php> We want to have our top
supporters in each parish serve in these crucial roles, and we would be
grateful for your public support.

Moving forward in our efforts to protect insurance consumers

The Judiciary Committee in the U.S. Senate held a hearing this week on the
Senate version of the important insurance legislation I am spearheading
through Congress. Just last week, I testified in a House of Representatives
committee about this bill, and it is great to see that the U.S. Senate is
equally committed to moving this legislation forward.

In Louisiana, we know all too well the importance of reforming the current
insurance system, which has proven, in many cases, to be a hindrance to
rebuilding our state. Rates have increased throughout Louisiana, and too
often, homeowners and businesses cannot even find affordable coverage.

We cannot sit idly by and watch this happen. I will continue to be a vocal
advocate for legislation to bring down our insurance rates, and will keep
leading the effort to ensure that consumers are protected.

To read more about this important issue, click here.
<http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6176236&nav=0nqx>

Fighting for Louisiana agriculture industries

This week, I had the opportunity to address the Richland Parish Farm Bureau
about my efforts to support Louisiana agriculture industries in Congress.
While I was in Rayville, I met with farmers from Start, Mangham, and Holly
Ridge about the issues they face in trying to keep the family farming
tradition alive in Louisiana.

I support the efforts of the men and women in Louisiana who work so hard to
ensure that our country can feed itself. The farmers I met who spend their
days in the fields are the backbone of our country, and our country must
continue to support the agricultural industries that feed our country.

I committed to the men and women in Richland Parish that I will continue to
work on their behalf to ensure that Louisiana farming traditions are fully
supported.

Fighting the bureaucracy

Nineteen months after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated our state,
there is still much work to be done to rebuild our state, and I remind my
colleagues of that every day.

In the 110th Congress, I have authored or cosponsored a number of bills to
help move our state forward in the recovery process:

RECOVER Act - This bill will provide the Small Business Administration (SBA)
with the authority to offer grants to businesses most severely affected by
the 2005 Gulf Coast Hurricanes; up to $100,000 per business. This
legislation will help our people return to work more quickly.

Gulf Coast Back to Business Act of 2007 - This bill will help Louisiana
small businesses get back on their feet by providing additional support and
grants.

Small Business Disaster Loan Improvement Act of 2007 - This legislation will
allow an individual affected by a catastrophic disaster the opportunity to
receive maximum loan capacity, without factoring in grants or expected
insurance proceeds. Under current law, the Road Home Grant is considered a
duplication of funds so homeowners in Louisiana have been required to use
their grants to pay off SBA loans, further complicating a very difficult
recovery. This bill will help fix this problem. An amendment that does
something similar was approved by committee.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Federal Match Relief Act of 2007 - This
legislation waives the local funding match required under current law, and
cancels the required repayment of Community Disaster Loans. This bill is
crucial to helping our communities continue to rebuild and recover.

Local Community Support Act - The legislation provides funds to qualifying
state and local governments to pay for utility costs resulting from
temporary housing expenses. Without this legislation, places like St.
Bernard Parish would be severely hindered by the huge cost of running the
temporary government facilities.

Increased Deferment Act - This bill will provide disaster victims with an
option of receiving a four year deferment period for disaster loans. This
greater flexibility will assist families who are rebuilding their lives.

I am committed to rebuilding our state, and will continue to be a vocal
advocate in Congress for ensuring our state has the support necessary to
recover and rebuild.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and please let my office know if we can
be of any assistance to you!

Sincerely,
Bobby