[StBernard] Alliance for Good Government forums

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 19 19:02:38 EDT 2007

I agree John. My son did not get their endorsement for this upcoming
election because he is young and can't walk the walk or talk the talk.

Karen

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding the Alliance for Good Government and
the upcoming forums.

Traditionally, the Alliance holds such candidate forums and typically will
make a public endorsement of a candidate for each office seat. Though the
rules of the Alliance do not require them to make an endorsement, usually
they fell like they have to.

When the Alliance began some 40 years ago, it was comprised of many well
established business people and professionals throughout the metro area -
many who were pretty well known within the community. These people had a
good reputation for being neutral and credibility in the public's eye from
their various civic involement. But then through the years the organization
began to fill more and more with people having strong ties to established
public officials and the organization became less and less visible in civic
activities. It got to the point where you basically paid your modest annual
dues and you got to vote to decide who got the Alliance's highly sought
after endorsement every two to four years. You then have to wonder "who are
these people giving endorsements?"

As I imply, the neutrality that once so prevailed within the organization
virtually ceased to exist. That's why every founding member of the Alliance
back in the 60's was gone by the late 80's/early 90's. Soon nobody knew who
made up the membership of the Alliance - and many of the parish chapters
were being controlled by members with political connections and alterior
motives. In a nutshell, that was why the charter of the St. Bernard parish
chapter (initially granted in 1987) was revoked by the Alliance's Board of
Directors in the mid 90's - the St. Bernard chapter had become politically
corrupted. It took several years for a new group of members to form a new
chapter again and get its charter back.

Still, very little is even known about the current chapter in St. Bernard or
the other parish chapters. Obviously its membership had to be hit hard by
the Katrina disrupting their lives and who knows who is left running things
now - and who they are connected to. This goes for all the chapters.

Yet, I am still amazed how the Alliance's name still garners a few positive
points in an election for their endorsed candidates - purely off the
reputation (and credibility) built by its founding members more than 20
years ago. I guess what I'm saying is voters need to be aware of the fact
that the Alliance of today is not the Alliance of yesterday. By no means am
I trying to knock the present day organization, but simply advising people
to take note that the organization's endorsements should not be given much
weight when considering which candidate to vote for.

I think it's a great idea for the Alliance to continue holding candidate
forums so voters have the opportunity to see, hear and meet the candidates,
but that's all the stock one should put into it. I prefer the Alliance not
to make any endorsements for this election year and wait until its
membership has reconstituted itself to strong numbers (as in the past) and
becomes frequently active in civic and social events where the public can
see its members actively participating in such activities, thus rebuilding
its credibility. I can recall members of the St. Bernard chapter being
required to serve so many hours per years in approved civic affairs (such as
litter clean-up days, library fundraisers, etc.).

Just don't take their endorsement on face value. Find out "why" they are
endorsing a particular candidate over another. Find out who the members are
and if they have any relationship or connection to public officials. Don't
be surprised when you learn how they vote to make an endorsement (called
their "executive session") that it includes members from other parish
chapters - this has been the case in past endorsements. Just think for
yourself, that's all.

John Scurich
Founder and First President of