[StBernard] Target, Wal-Mart Check Out St. Bernard

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 19 22:22:34 EDT 2007

But you know...those two companies need to look at the adjacent areas too.
A Wal-Mart or Target would probably also draw folks from New Orleans East
and at least the lower, if not upper, 9th wards. Those additional folks may
bring the target number close to the 45K.

Jim

Target, Wal-Mart Check Out St. Bernard

POSTED: 1:04 pm CDT October 17, 2007
UPDATED: 5:34 pm CDT October 17, 2007

CHALMETTE, La. -- Target and Wal-Mart are looking at St. Bernard
Parish to
decide if they'll open stores there.

A corporate team from Target will tour the hard-hit parish next week
and
meet with parish leaders.

Wal-Mart executives did the same last week.

"They're coming in about a year, supposedly, but we've heard that
before,"
Parish President Junior Rodriguez said.

The two companies are trying to decide whether or not St. Bernard is
viable market based on population.

"We need at least 45,000 people. We only have 30,000 people,"
Rodriguez
said.

But resident Richard Totorico said both stores are missing out on a
big
opportunity.

"Thirty-thousand people need everything to rebuild. They will buy
double
what people in other areas would buy," he said.

Beside not having a big retailer in town, people in the parish say
they're
not happy about seeing their tax dollars go to other areas when they
go out
of the parish to shop.