[StBernard] EDITORIAL: Governor's legacy will last

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 29 17:29:04 EDT 2007

Periodically, the press office will publish editorials, articles and columns that feature Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's work in various areas.

The Monroe News Star: Blanco leaves legacy here
Published Monday, October 29, 2007
Click here to read the article online.

<http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071029/OPINION01/710290323/1014/OPINION>

Say what you may about the administration of Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, but one thing is certain.

The governor has done much for northeastern Louisiana.

As she took office, negative economic events for the region were well under way. State Farm and Guide Corp. were leaving.

But she pledged to make a difference here. Despite the tremendous impact of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita that could have given her administration an excuse never to look north, Blanco honored that pledge.

Much of her administration's work will bear fruition in years to come. Someday, someone will locate at the Franklin Farms megasite. Someday, the research park at Louisiana Tech University will be filled with businesses. Someday, pharmaceutical research will cluster near the University of Louisiana at Monroe's expanded School of Pharmacy. Someday, businesses will take advantage of the LONI fiber optic network or be courted by a regional economic development organization.

We're already pleased as punch with the location of the Accent Center at the former State Farm building, and we are thrilled Chase has announced a major expansion here. These hundreds of jobs are adding up.

And we also are excited at the prospect of more business announcements in the wings.

State economic development officials and legislators say they are close to landing three job expansions for the area.

Louisiana economic development Secretary Michael Olivier and legislators confirmed the prospects include a possible tenant for the Guide facility, a second tenant for the Accent Center and a possible local expansion in the Monroe Air Industrial Park.

"I think that we're extremely close on the Guide plant," said state Sen.-elect Francis Thompson, D-Delhi. "This would be a large operation of high-paying manufacturing jobs from a corporation that has a successful track record."

Thompson and Sen.-elect Mike Walsworth said they believe Blanco would like to make an announcement on at least one of the expansions when she speaks during a Monroe Chamber of Commerce luncheon on Wednesday.

"(Olivier) and his team has told me some things in confidence that keeps me from talking about specifics, but I can say that I feel very good about the prospects discussed," said Walsworth, R-West Monroe. "It would be a great way for Gov. Blanco to leave office."

"This shows that if we work hard as a team we can bring more jobs to northeastern Louisiana, but we have to work in unison," Thompson said.

"I think (Olivier) and his team have worked extremely hard recruiting jobs to northeastern Louisiana," Walsworth said. "Even after Gov. Blanco announced that she wouldn't run for a second term, they have continued to work just as hard for our region."

The governor's efforts for northeastern Louisiana - and her administration's aid in helping local leaders develop opportunities to work together for economic development - should not be ignored in the waning days of her administration. We encourage all to attend the chamber luncheon this week for an appropriate appreciation of this work.

Her positive economic legacy in northeastern Louisiana will be felt for many years to come.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org