[StBernard] Stephens

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 21 11:13:27 EST 2007

"Bianca: If you ever thought Jr. was unprofessional, let me share this with
you. After mass this past Saturday, we walked out to find a truck
sitting in the middle of the street, horn blaring, promoting Larry
Landry for sheriff. In addition to the traffic and the "rolling
billboard", leaflets were left on every car. It's one thing in a shopping
center, but it shows a lack of courtesy to others to disturb
them at their place of worship."

**Yes, John. It's the 20th century of politicking as much a part of getting
one's word out about one's running in an election as the old-fashioned train
"whistle-stop", the billboards above the top of one's car, or the
stumping/soapbox to gather attention.

Today, we use the power of the internet, polling, and mass-media
advertising.

"I can attest to the fact that a number of deputies openly stated that they
would resign if Larry won.
We need consistancy at the present time, with the best people for each
job doing their job. St. Bernard has come a long way, but once Craig
is actually calling the shots,we should start to see some progress. --John"

**Yes, John, as in any long-term "dynasty" for so many years, an
administrator is going to gather some "smack-smack" kissing for the support
of that administrator. The opposite happened a few years ago in the vein of
"mass-migration" of police officers who were denied proper pay, and who
chose to leave the force in droves, and change occupations and\or go
elsewhere. --only to grant the raise-in-pay some short time thereafter.

The fact that the voters decided to keep Mr. Stephens (beyond rumors, facts
and chit-chat) led many to make up their minds whether to maintain the
status quo in St. Bernard, or seek a "sleep-chamber" elsewhere. Some will
feel safe, while others feel their future is in doubt. It's not an opinion,
but I will bet this is a fact. I do hope things work out but the "ax" has
yet to fall or any truth to emerge yet, so the "jury is still out".

For da parish's sake, we pray for the best--but expect anything can happen
in our blistering society.

--jer--