[StBernard] Landrieu Statement on Lott Retirement

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 27 22:43:25 EST 2007

Landrieu Statement on Lott Retirement

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today released the
following statement regarding the announced retirement of United State
Senator Trent Lott, R-Miss.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"Through 35 years of service in the House and Senate, Trent Lott has
repeatedly found the right balance between powerful leadership for his party
and the wisdom to broker common ground when achievable. His friendship and
counsel were especially important to me and the people of Louisiana as we
faced the long road of recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"Senator Lott's partnership in fighting for the Gulf Coast states' fair
share of offshore oil and gas revenues was a key factor in our bill's
passage. I have also deeply valued his ability to reach across the aisle to
create pragmatic consensus on vital national priorities. Our partnership on
insurance issues, the Water Resources bill and a host of necessary FEMA
reforms has been a true collaboration.

"But Senator Lott is not simply a trusted colleague and experienced mentor.
He and Tricia are also very special friends whom I will miss very much. I
admire Senator Lott for his service, and wish him and his family nothing but
best wishes as they embark on the next chapter of their journey together."

- 30 -