[StBernard] Allstate's newest slogan: No Choice Auto

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 17 23:31:44 EST 2008

Allstate's newest slogan: No Choice Auto
By Randy Diamond | Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 05:41 PM

Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty's action preventing Allstate from
writing new business is aimed at the company's auto insurance business.

Allstate has not written new property business in Florida in several years
and is in the process of not renewing tens of thousands of customers. The
company says it has lost nearly a billion dollars over the last four years
writing property coverage, mostly from the 2004 and 2005 hurricanes.

But Allstate has had a growing and profitable auto insurance book of
business in Florida, it has 14.3 percent of auto insurance market in
Florida, based on the 1.8 billion in premium it collected last year.

McCarty, angry at the insurer for failing to deliver subpoenaed material on
its plan to raise property rates in Florida, said he had to take decisive
action.

''We're going to hit them where it hurts,'' he said. We're going to get
their attention.''

McCarty certainly has gotten Allstate's attention. The question now is how
long will the stalemate last?

In the meantime, Allstate's new advertising campaign for its auto insurance,
'' your choice auto'' may need to be renamed ''no choice.''