[StBernard] Senate Passes Bipartisan Economic Stimulus that Helps Seniors and Veterans

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 7 18:22:11 EST 2008

Senate Passes Bipartisan Economic Stimulus that Helps

Seniors and Veterans

Prevents illegal immigrants from receiving rebate checks.

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today commented
on the Senate's overwhelming 81-16 passage of the bipartisan compromise
version of the Economic Stimulus Package. It is now headed to the House for
another vote.

"I am very encouraged that the Senate overcame the partisanship that was
threatening quick passage of the nation's Economic Stimulus Package. We are
on track to direct sorely needed cash to American taxpayers and to encourage
businesses to expand and invest in the United States.

"This compromise package corrects three of the major failings in the House's
version. It ensures more than half a million Louisiana seniors will get
rebate checks this year. It also includes checks for 250,000 of our nation's
disabled veterans who until now were left out. It also closes the door to
illegal immigrants receiving government checks, which the House had failed
to do.

"However, I am disappointed that the Senate did not include protection for
Road Home grant recipients in the stimulus package. I am working with my
colleagues to find a solution that ensures Louisianians rebuilding their
homes are not unfairly penalized by the IRS come tax time."

- 30 -