[StBernard] Old Neighborhoods

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 26 08:57:31 EDT 2008

"...I know how addictive it was waiting for the smell outside of the
garage-turned bakery in the rear to have fresh hot varieties instill
cravings and sinful delights."

Jer, I can barely remember as a kid going there. My grandmother lived a few
blocks away. I can recall my father saying "bakery" was a polite way of
putting it. It was the "donut garage" as he put it. But yes, they made
great donuts. And often after stopping there we'd head down Elysian Fields
over to Lawrence's. I remember Lawrence's made just about every kind of
pastry treat you could imagine, in addition to great wedding cakes.

There is a bakery today that very much reminds me of Lawrence's. The folks
in Mandeville know it well...Krummel's Mandeville Bake Shop. I don't
believe there's anything they don't make great. They have the best
pedifores (spelling?) I've ever eaten. Oh, and their jelly donuts are to
kill for - they use real raisberry jam, not that pastry fill crap. Great
chocolate glazed donuts. What else is great...brownies, prussians, and
their black out cake comes the closest to the old McKenzie's black out.
They also make this thing called an "almond pocket" which is to die for.

Anyone who misses the days of Randazzo's and Lawrence's would find
Mandeville Bake Shop to be a gem. If you're ever going through Mandeville
on the main drag of hwy. 190 (Florida Ave.) next to Saia's Market, it's
worth the stop. They're closed on Monday's, as I disppointingly found out
one day.

John Scurich