[StBernard] Redfish Cup to lure anglers to Hopedale

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Aug 18 09:01:34 EDT 2008

parish lost money on the Redfish Cup in the past but I do know that it isn't
the host town that decides where this national event is held. It's the
powers that be with the organization and I, for one, think that it's great
that they choose St. Bernard to host a tournament again."

Jer Responds: Sure, and don't get me wrong, LMP. St. Bernard NEEDS diversion
and success. What's transpired from former (esp. since the 2005 season) is
truthfulness in advertising, accountability to the citizens of St.Bernard to
report the truth in dealings, money spent and governmental press as to
success. One cannot say this or that is successful to 10,000 in attendance
when the figures after the event show otherwise. Also, how much of
economical impact to the community in past events are true without alleged
padding of the figures to the public is true and how much is inflated.

Citizens of St. Bernard parish who attended the functions may have had a
good time (and God knows they need diversion after Katrina), but how much of
financial/economical impact to da parish's businesses, tourism, etc. is
actually da truth (as success is rated in more terms than having a good
time). Fiscal responsibility and accountability to what da parish "actually
received" rather than what was realized is a must.

--jer--

Ps. Those in attendance, please have a fine time. The fisherman and
sportsman who attend from the parish are sure to have a decent time at the
event. However, let's see what is reported/screened to the public in the
local papers about the economic impact.