[StBernard] response to gb about the Couple shot at in Chalmette Home Depot parking lot

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 5 19:16:55 EST 2009

"I don't think gb is ridicoulous. Nothing like this would have happened
before Katrina. We all know the parish is not the same place it used to be.
If you think things are the same, you are in denial. Maybe with time things
will get back to normal. They have gotten better and continue to get
better, but things are certainly not up to par with what they used to be.
--Laurie"

Jer Responds:

Yes, Laurie. As a victim of an horrendous crime, I have learned to increase
the security of property, plus weapons to put me on same level or greater as
perpetrators (in exception if they bring in a tank or bomber, and am so
attuned to my environment as one can be. Know where one is at all times and
don't park too far from the establishment (day or night because my incident
happened at noon). If one is alone and feels unsafe, have them issue an
employee who can walk one to the car. It's not stupid and can save a life.
..Yours. Now that drugs is worse than ever, they won't hesitate to slice a
throat or put you down as they are overpowering on crack, heroin, or
addictive "medication".

In the past, I've never been a gun owner or player in protectionism in a
world of crime.

I used to walk streets at night or have my sons come in late or even my
children stay out a little later past dark.

It won't happen in this day and age. Cops once told me to get a good shotgun
for home invasion. (Don't worry folks, if you're considering suicide, you'll
do it with a simple bottle of pills or razor blade. I know where to find
shells in an instant or use a lock for safety. If it comes down to me or
them, I make an easy decision.

In recent times however, a 3:30am banging on my door brought me to the door
awaiting action by what I consider a possible perpetrator. He claimed "an
accident occurred and needed to call for help." I yelled to him I'd do so
and called 911.

There was no accident found in the vicinity, but a hammer was found in the
grass next to the doorstep entrance.

I didn't want to wake up talking to St. Peter after getting mauled to death
with a hammer. If it's between a hammer (or weapon) and my shotgun, I know
with confidence who/what will win.

Yes, we live in dire straits and time than we did years ago. In the movies,
they rarely show the homeowner winning the battle with an attacker. Be a
scout and "be prepared".

--jer--