[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro issues annual report

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 11 08:27:37 EST 2009

St. Bernard Parish President issues report highlighting progress made in our
Recovery and Growth in 2008

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro Jr. has issued an eight-page
report complete with photographs and commentary to illustrate the
achievements made in St. Bernard Parish in 2008.

The report will be available on the parish website at www.sbpg.net
<http://www.sbpg.net/> and at the receptionist desk of the St. Bernard
Parish Government Complex, 8201 W. Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette. Copies
will be distributed to other public buildings and local businesses.

The report focuses on the status of ongoing Hurricane recovery
infrastructure projects and other growth issues in St. Bernard Parish as
well as highlighting that our parish's population now stands at 37,000, more
than half of our pre-Katrina population.

"Recovering from the disaster of Hurricane Katrina has tested the resolve of
our St. Bernard community," St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro
said. "I believe more than ever that the character of our parish has been
revealed and St. Bernard Parish through its residents and partners has stood
as a beacon of hope and testament of what a faith based, hard working, and
vision driven community can do. 2008 was a breakthrough year for us and
2009 will see the completion of many of the breakthrough projects that were
put in place. The completion of our Fire Stations, Civic Center, Gyms,
miles of roads, the Government Complex, the Council on Aging, our
Playgrounds and Parks, sewer lift stations, drainage pump stations as well
as the culmination of the household demolition program, canal clean up will
all be the focus of 2009."

Just this week, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers transferred control of
three rebuilt pumping stations to the Lake Borgne Basin Levee District in a
ceremony meant to highlight that the federal government has elevated new
pump engines and components and returned St. Bernard Parish to 100 percent
of its pre-Katrina drainage capacity. The federal government spent $20.1
million to rebuild the pump stations that were severely damaged during
Hurricanes Katrina in 2005.

"This is a critical development because the more we provide people a reason
to come home and a reason to stay home, the more we drive our parish's
Recovery and Growth," Taffaro said. "It is important because it gives a
sense of safety to our community."

For more information on St. Bernard Parish and its Recovery and Growth,
visit the parish website at www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net/> .

###