[StBernard] local reality episode. Once upon a time .

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Mar 14 21:13:46 EDT 2009

There's some lesson to be learned in this "local reality episode". Once upon
a time .

Covington, Louisiana Wal-Mart

"This past Saturday my son Cole (10 years old) and I went to the
Covington Wal Mart to exchange a gift he received. Cole received a play
station game that he already had and wanted to get another game. Cole did
not have his receipt, but Wal Mart has a policy that if the item was bought
there, you can return it in exchange for a Wal Mart gift card. I told Cole
it was his responsibility to get the card. After standing in line at the
customer service for a while, Cole approached a black female employee, she
had a gold front tooth, neck tattoo's, and loop earrings that a poodle can
jump through. I waited at the end of the counter for Cole while he received
his gift card. Cole approached me with a puzzled look on his face, so I
asked of him what was wrong. Cole turned the Wal Mart gift card towards me
and asked me "Dad, what does Happy Kwanzaa mean?" The gift card was a Wal
Mart card that said Happy Kwanzaa. Needless to say I was not a happy
camper..

Looking at the long line, I was not about to wait to handle this issue.
I approached the employee that issued my son the card, her name was Cavalier
(I think her parents named her after their crappy car!). I asked Cavalier,
"Do you have any gift cards that have Merry Christmas on it? Cavalier said
yes. I then asked her "Do you have any cards that say Happy Holidays on it?"
Cavalier said yes. I then asked Cavalier why would she give a gift card that
is celebrated by ONE color of people, Black people, and ONE class of people,
African American? She did not respond. I then asked her why would she give a
racist and biased card to a young white boy? Again, no answer. At this time
I looked down at my son with concern that he would be upset at what happened
or upset with me getting pissed off. With the most stern look on his face,
he stared at Cavalier waiting for her to give a sensible answer.

Noticing there was a problem, the manager (a white man named Gary came
to the counter) asked if there was a problem. I looked at Gary and asked him
if he celebrated Kwanzaa, to which he said no. I then asked Gary why. he
responded by saying "I cannot answer that question". I said oh I understand,
let me answer that question for you, it is because you are WHITE.. I told
Gary it is bad enough that I have the presidential election shit thrown in
my face, now I have to deal with a racist employee throwing her own racial
beliefs in my face. At this point Cavalier responded by saying that Kwanzaa
is a centuries old tradition that started back in Africa. Well, she pissed
off the lion within me at this point.. I told Cavalier that it is obvious
how stupid she really is, that Kwanzaa was created by a black minister in
Atlanta, Ga. in 1991, and that I have a white female friend that was born in
Johannesburg South Africa over 50 years ago and she has never heard of
Kwanzaa. I asked Cavalier "What came first, Christmas(Christ) or Kwanzaa?
Gary, the manager asked me to settle down, and that he would exchange the
card. I said that that was not good enough, that he/and Wal-Mart should have
never printed these cards. I flipped the scenario over on Gary and said,
"What if my son worked here, and would have given a gift card that had a
Rebel flag on it or a Happy Birthday to David Duke on it to a black person,
would he still be employed here? Gary stated that Wal Mart doesn't or would
not print those card, and I said, exactly.

I then gave the card back to Cavalier, and told her to give me another
card, a card that is recognized by all people, not just black people. As my
son and I walked away from the counter, we were greeted with a loud cheer
and applause from the people standing in line. Many of the people reached
out to shake our hands and to tell us thanks. Over the years I have noticed
the transition of society, and I for one will not tolerate crap like this
anymore. I hope that more people will express themselves (Have the balls to
step up) to preserve our rights, heritage, and belief in God and CHRISTmas.
"

Merry Christmas,
The Couvillion Family