[StBernard] Protecting Louisiana's Future and Working Toward Greater Job Creation

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 30 21:15:42 EDT 2009

June 30, 2009

Protecting Louisiana's Future and Working Toward Greater Job Creation

Last week, we got the great news that the Center for Public Integrity has
now ranked us number one in the country - up from 44th - for our legislative
financial disclosure laws. Louisiana is now the national standard on a good
list. What a tremendous accomplishment.

This recent news from the CPI is another clear sign that the nation is
taking note of our work to become the best place in the world to raise a
family, get a great education and pursue a rewarding career.

In the recently concluded legislative session, I am glad to say that we
crafted a budget that does NOT raise taxes on Louisianians or our small
businesses - even as dozens of other states have done during this national
economic downturn. Indeed, we also protected the resources in our state's
mega fund so we can continue to attract more businesses to Louisiana, which
means more jobs for our people, and ensured our rainy day fund will still be
available in future years when we may face even larger budget challenges.
Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=VizdiaGmk7L5zKdCa6gz0n9
5OuSCfhdpzIvrOAIXBFk%3d&digest=RkjKTs%2bpL4fFwjn%2feKc88w>

Supporting our Veterans

I traveled to Alexandria last week to attend the Veterans of Foreign Wars'
78th annual state conference, where I signed into law House Bill 559 and
handed out Louisiana Veterans' Honor Medals to more than 250 veterans. Our
veterans are our nation's true heroes, and I was honored to spend some time
with many of them in Alexandria.

HB 559 will, as reported by the Alexandria Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=%2bqVy3NKY56pjhvjnkRkaY
z%2bqp2jF%2fmIoCop9CIeUPso%3d&digest=cWuwaFP1etLyKfincwDnDg> , "support and
provide assistance to veteran entrepreneurs." The bill makes veterans who
own small businesses eligible for state contract assistance, giving them the
support they deserve. With billions in federal construction projects ready
to begin through the state, this is a great opportunity for our veterans to
both successfully start a small business or continue to run their existing
business. Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=pDqRV1VOHaNSr97GQypRsjq
Y1GHL8hiQYcLjOvFDTCA%3d&digest=sMUjWLbY5qKAcb% 2bv1WHD%2bQ>

Congrats Tigers!

Congratulations to the LSU Tigers baseball team, who beat Texas two games to
one last week to win the College World Series. I am looking forward to
having a great dinner of Texas barbeque, and well done to the team - who
once again showed that Omaha is LSU baseball's second home.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal