[StBernard] Protecting Louisianians

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 8 21:17:34 EDT 2009

Dear Friends,

As we enter the heart of hurricane season, as well as continue to monitor
the spread of H1N1 influenza, we are taking some important steps to ensure
that our state is prepared and Louisianians are protected in case of a
disaster or other emergency situation. As the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/editorials/index.ssf?/base/news-6/125230081611
6170.xml&coll=1> wrote, the "response to Hurricane Gustav last year was
efficient and nimble in almost every aspect," and we will continue to move
forward with efforts to improve our preparedness and response even further.

<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=ILBDq2ciak4XlyLeba2Rh41
Dseuhz4S6fZk24H5AwJU%3d&digest=2MAq8QAXNJL%2fxwCoHm7uUw> Last week we
proclaimed September as "Preparedness Month" in order to raise public
awareness about disasters and other emergency situations, and held a meeting
with Louisiana's Unified Command Group to discuss efforts to prepare and
educate the people of our state about H1N1 as flu season approaches. We
continue to move forward with plans to distribute the H1N1 vaccine when it
becomes available, prepare our state's hospitals, and educate the public on
how to prevent the spread of the virus. It is important that we all receive
a seasonal flu shot as well as the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available,
as this will prevent residents from being faced with the prospect of two
illnesses while helping to ease pressure on our providers and hospitals. By
taking additional simple steps such as sneezing or coughing into a tissue or
your sleeve, washing your hands often, and staying home when sick, we can
all play an important role in preventing the spread of H1N1.

Additionally, efforts to spread the word regarding the importance of
childhood vaccinations have paid off in a huge way, with the Centers for
Disease Prevention and Control recently releasing that Louisiana ranks
second in the nation in immunizing children between the ages of 19-35
months, a huge jump from 44th just two years ago. As the Times-Picayune
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=SY8POAmpyNkgPWPY21w%2fk
znjpGmdGju12EcunnfnpFY%3d&digest=89ovST%2fmQv5sgorAiO21kg> reported, "last
year 82 percent of babies in Louisiana received their recommended
vaccinations by age two. That earned the state a second place ranking, its
highest ever." The cost of vaccinations is repaid many times over due to a
decrease in future health care costs, and this is a great step forward for
the health of our state's children.

We are also continuing to streamline state government and ensure that
government is living within its means. Last week we announced that we will
take steps to decrease the number of state cars owned by agencies and
departments across the state, which the Times-Picayune
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=XwneCTjokGzQ7dJkckuJJ9n
iZKggCZHy1FP5uzVaGqQ%3d&digest=haYVnYGdxil6l%2f5ezceLNg> called "a smart
step to take." As the Louisiana Streamlining Commission continues to meet
and prepare its recommendations, we will continue looking for ways to make
state government more efficient while costing our taxpayers less.

I also visited Marrero, Arcadia, and Natchitoches to present hundreds of our
state's veterans with the Louisiana Veterans' Honor Medal, as well as White
castle, Bernice, and Deridder as part of the Louisiana Working Tour. I look
forward to visiting more communities across our state in the coming week!

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal