[StBernard] Fighting The Flu

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 6 19:06:22 EDT 2009

Dear Friends,

Last week I was joined by Secretary Alan Levine of the Louisiana Department
of Health and Hospitals, as well as other officials, in Lafayette to launch
the state's Fight the Flu campaign. As written in the Opelousas Daily World
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=ojwhEu4auz4bS0rpbC4622R
9A%2ftWom%2bsl2Hjpo0qlw8%3d&digest=Qt%2fnuiBe7iDS9EfvjnSEYA> , "The $20
million campaign promotes immunizations and hygiene to prevent the spread of
seasonal flu and the H1N1 virus."

We lose more than 36,000 Americans a year to the seasonal flu, and with the
new H1N1 virus circulating it is all the more important to take three easy
steps to help prevent the spread of the flu. First, we want to encourage
everyone to get their flu shots, both seasonal and H1N1. We recently issued
a new protocol allowing board-certified pharmacists across the state to
administer the vaccines, giving our residents even greater access to this
important preventative step.

You can get your seasonal flu shot now from your provider, as well as
pharmacists, and we expect to start receiving our initial doses of H1N1
vaccine later this week. High-risk groups will be the first to have access
to the H1N1 vaccine, such as children, pregnant women, and those with
pre-existing medical conditions. Within several weeks, every Louisianian
that wants to get their H1N1 shot will have the opportunity to do so. Stay
in contact with your provider regarding the availability of the vaccine in
the coming weeks.

We also encourage you to wash your hands often with soap or an alcohol-based
hand sanitizer, cough into your sleeve or a tissue, and to stay home when
you are sick. If you have flu-like symptoms, contact your provider. They
will offer appropriate advice as to what steps you should take while
recovering.

Finally, listen for guidance from local, state and federal health officials,
as the situation regarding this year's flu season could change at any time.
We announced the launch of www.FighttheFluLA.com
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=C4Nyme8JGr6AEYdz5scJOpe
nbaiGXZw2oogPH4eM1NA%3d&digest=laiwKBIZ74XF4opD0%2bsQ4g> in Lafayette last
week, and I encourage you to read through the site, as well as www.cdc.gov
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=1G%2bDe1uf3N0D2SqO1avJv
PlvZ7D59cZ%2bEDTH3LaF738%3d&digest=L4L5tmXwrXzh1%2bJpk4qVeA> , for more
information regarding the flu. We all play a part in preventing the spread
of the flu, and keep an eye out for public service announcements and other
educational materials throughout this flu season to help us fight the flu.

I was also able to welcome back from Iraq members of Louisiana's National
Guard in Shreveport, and as KSLA
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=1CnkPiGBjj0u%2figjQlrUh
SJm2n39riFytP6oeTzrALo%3d&digest=DCnRI7D%2bECOHrYBzJzORuw> reported, I am
"proud to have them all back." I also had the honor of presenting 223 of our
state's veterans with the Louisiana Veterans' Honor Medal in Jonesboro.

I visited Minden as part of the Louisiana Working Tour last week as well,
and I look forward to visiting more communities in our great state in the
coming weeks.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal