[StBernard] An Important Message From U.S. Census Bureau Director Robert M. Groves

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 10 18:38:12 EST 2010

It's in our hands! Census 2010 forms are being hand delivered to households
in St. Bernard Parish by Census employees. Please look for them on your door
knobs, and talk to your neighbors to make sure they received them. Extra
copies should soon be available at the St. Bernard Government Complex. The
Census form has 10 questions that take about 10 minutes to answer. The
Census determines how many seats we have in Congress and who gets more than
$400 billion in federal programs for schools, energy assistance, elderly
programs and more! A Census Awareness Event - Celebrate St. Bernard and
Stand Up and Be Counted - will be Thursday, March 18 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at
Nunez Community College. There will be free food, giveaways and
entertainment.

Also, I want to share this email that I have received from the Census
Bureau. It has a lot of good information that you can share with your
family, friends, neighborhood groups, churches and school groups. Help
spread the word. In the below email is a useful electronic toolkit from the
Census that includes talking points, sample speeches, new releases,
newsletter copy, event suggestions, flyers, stickers, and doorknob hanger
templates, and more. The link to the toolkit is:
http://2010.census.gov/partners/toolkits/toolkits-take10.php
<http://2010.census.gov/partners/toolkits/toolkits-take10.php> .

If you have questions about the Census, or if you are interested in having a
brief presentation made to your neighborhood group or church, please contact
me at 504-278-4280 or kbazile at sbpg.net <mailto:kbazile at sbpg.net> . Also,
see the Census button on www.sbpg.net <http://www.sbpg.net/> for a complete
list of sites where forms are available and to get more information.

Best wishes,

Karen

________________________________

Are you up for the "Take 10" challenge?

On behalf of the U.S. Census Bureau, we are asking our partners to join us
in making history by helping to boost the mail back participation rates
across the Nation and in your community during the 2010 Census.

During each Decennial Census, the Census Bureau undertakes the count of
every person residing in the United States, as mandated by Article 1,
Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution. To encourage everyone to take 10 minutes
to answer the 10 simple questions on the 2010 Census form, we are launching
the "Take 10" campaign. Through "Take 10," you can visit
http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTczMTI5O
CZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC03MzEyOTgmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1Njk2O
Tc3JmVtYWlsaWQ9a2JhemlsZUBzYnBnLm5ldCZ1c2VyaWQ9a2JhemlsZUBzYnBnLm5ldCZleHRyY
T0mJiY=&&&100&&&http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/> to get
updates on the proportion of households that have mailed back the 2010
Census forms. You also will be able to view differences between your
community's participation rates and those of neighboring communities or
other areas across the country.

The "Take 10" Challenge - Tools to Inspire the Mail Back Participation Rates
for the 2010 Census

During the 2000 Census, 72 percent of occupied households mailed back their
forms. In 2010, we are challenging communities to do even better. The Census
Bureau's "Take 10" campaign gives you a wide range of tools to inspire your
community to meet our challenge. These include:

* An interactive, map-based, "Take 10" Web site that allows local
areas to track and compare their 2010 Census mail back participation rates,
which will be updated on a daily basis at
http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTczMTI5O
CZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC03MzEyOTgmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1Njk2O
Tc3JmVtYWlsaWQ9a2JhemlsZUBzYnBnLm5ldCZ1c2VyaWQ9a2JhemlsZUBzYnBnLm5ldCZleHRyY
T0mJiY=&&&101&&&http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/> , and to look
up their 2000 Census participation rates.
* An electronic toolkit
T0mJiY=&&&102&&&http://2010.census.gov/partners/toolkits/toolkits-take10.php

> is available which includes talking points, sample speeches, new

releases, newsletter copy, event suggestions, flyers, stickers, and doorknob
hanger templates, and more.
* Suggestions on how to use friendly competition with other
communities to inspire participation in the census.

You can play an important leadership role in encouraging your community to
mail back their forms. Most 2010 Census questionnaires are delivered from
March 15-17, 2010. From the time the forms are delivered until the closing
of the mail campaign at the end of April, you have the opportunity to remind
your area residents of the importance of mailing back their census forms. We
believe that you can encourage participation through speeches, special
events, and challenges.

The stakes are high; an accurate count of the local population helps to
ensure that your community receives its fair share of federal funding. This
funding includes resources for services, such as health care, education, and
roads.

Your constituents must complete and mail back their census forms between
March 15, 2010 and April 15, 2010. The good news is that the 2010 Census
questionnaire is one of the shortest in history-just 10 questions that only
take about 10 minutes to complete. We hope we can count on you to encourage
participatation in the 2010 Census. Visit
http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTczMTI5O
CZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC03MzEyOTgmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1Njk2O
Tc3JmVtYWlsaWQ9a2JhemlsZUBzYnBnLm5ldCZ1c2VyaWQ9a2JhemlsZUBzYnBnLm5ldCZleHRyY
T0mJiY=&&&103&&&http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/> now to see
your area's 2000 Census mail participation rate and check the site daily for
updates beginning March 22.

The 2010 Census: It's in our Hands.

Sincerely,

Robert M. Groves