[StBernard] St. Bernard deputies arrest fugitive hiding out in attic

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 8 08:20:29 EDT 2011

St. Bernard deputies arrest fugitive hiding out in attic

wwltv.com

Posted on June 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Updated yesterday at 10:19 PM

WWLTV.com

VIOLET, La. - Deputies arrested a fugitive from Texas who was wanted for
possessing a large amount of marijuana, according to the St. Bernard Parish
Sheriff's Office.

New Orleans resident Fredrick McLeod, 35, was arrested in the attic of a
home in Violet, said Chief Deputy Sheriff James Pohlmann.

McLeod had been running from police for months. Pohlmann said in October
last year, he was pulled over in Smith County, Texas, on Interstate 20. He
was able to escape through a wooded area, but authorities found his I.D. in
his vehicle and nearly eight pounds of marijuana.

Police spotted McLeod the next day while he was waiting for a cab at a motel
south of I-20. However, he was able to escape yet again in the woods. He
would not be seen again by authorities until his arrest in Violet.

McLeod was arrested for murder in New Orleans in both 1996 and 2000,
Pohlmann said, but it's not clear what happened to the charges. McLeod has
convictions for armed robbery, dealing crack cocaine and other, lesser
charges.