[StBernard] my editorial submission - re voter fraud and voter privilege

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 15 21:50:44 EST 2011

I'm submitting this opinon letter for publication to several newspapers.
Whether it is published or not, I wanted to share my feelings with all of
you who also consider the right to vote a privilege.
Remember the "vote early, vote often" joke in St. Bernard of years ago?
Well, apparently the concept of illegal voting is still alive and well
according to the recent news of those living outside of St. Bernard (outside
Louisiana for that matter), voting in the recent primary. I am both angry
and sad at the same time -- and I might add embarrassed.

I consider my right to vote to be a precious and hard fought privilege that
I enjoy through the sacrifice of many. Perhaps we all need to refresh our
memories on those struggles. Below is an very brief summary of facts from
History of Voting Rights in America (www.iwantmyvote.com).

When this country was founded, only white men who owned property were
allowed to vote while working men, women and people of color were denied the
right to vote. By the time of the Civil War, most white men were allowed to
vote whether or not they owned property. In 1869, the 15th Amendment
guaranteed the right to vote to black men, with most women of all races
still unable to vote. Finally in 1920, the 19th Amendment gave women of all
color the right to vote.

What is missing in the above brief summary and time frame are the struggles
and determination of individuals who respected and honored the right to
vote.

Why can't we do the same in St. Bernard parish?

Sincerely,

Deborah Lambert Rosenberger

Chalmette LA