[Woodcarver] Lack of reaction to your art.

Joe Dillett jdillett at thecarvingshop.com
Thu Aug 12 15:30:45 EDT 2004

Hi Patti,

Another possible reason for a seemingly non-reaction is that you left them
speechless.

A few times at our concerts when our choir finished a song there was no
reaction. You could hear a pin drop and see a few hankies wiping eyes. We
knew it was good so that complete silence was the best reaction we could
achieve. It seemed louder and more rewarding than a standing ovation. It was
like the Spirit took them to another place and they hadn't brought them back
yet.

Many times artwork has the same effect. If it does its job it will create a
deeper feeling than just the superficial wow reaction. Telling an artist
their work is pretty in not a complement an artist wants to hear. The artist
tries for a deeper feeling to their message. If they succeed in transferring
that feeling to the viewer it will hit the viewer before the viewer has a
chance to utter any superficial accolades. Many times their silence
indicates that the view is trying to discover the deeper meaning. This takes
time so that superficial reaction may never come. If I know my work is good
and if I get a non-reaction I feel like I just finished one of those great
songs in silence and maybe my work took their spirit to a new place. That
gives me the best feeling because I just might have communicated something
through my work.

Joe Dillett
The Carving Shop
645 E. LaSalle St. Suite 3