[Woodcarver] Lack of reaction to your art.

reddogg reddogg2k2 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 17:06:27 EDT 2004

 [Original Message]
> From: Joe Dillett <jdillett at thecarvingshop.com>
>
> Hi Patti,
>
> Another possible reason for a seemingly non-reaction is that you left them
> speechless.
>
> A few times at our concerts when our choir finished a song there was no
> reaction. You could hear a pin drop and see a few hankies wiping eyes. We
> knew it was good so that complete silence was the best reaction we could
> achieve.

So Joe

    In years past with my once rich baritone voice I sang in a church choir
and quite often was called upon to narrate cantatas and plays with positive
results.
The only time I made anyone cry or drove them to silence was when I
attempted to be a soloist. Many of the folks said they had never heard
anything quite like that, and frankly hoped thy never did again.
     It was about this time I decided to take my "ARTISTIC ABILITIES" in a
different direction and took up painting and carving.
I now try to avoid exposing my art works to public scrutiny, and find my
acceptance and sense of self worth are greatly improved.
     What have I learned. If I open myself up to others and live a life
well scrutinized I risk adulation and criticism, praise and persecution,
mountain peaks and valleys of emotion. If I conceal my talents and try to
deny any (however improbable ) flaws or omissions, I at least have to
respond to one possible critic, who although at times can be brutally
frank, finds difficulty in telling me how truly great I am. That is myself.
      As my therapist says "you gotta get into the game to score" and "the
rewards are most often worth the risk but certainly far greater than the
alternative."
Don't' know why I felt need to share except all the philosophy floating
around today. As one who formerly did , but no longer does seek God inside
the confines of the walls of a church, I offer the perspective of one who's
journey bears, I believe, the scrutiny of a higher power.

"reddogg"