[Woodcarver] I need your help

terry zobl tzobl at email.com
Fri Aug 13 07:37:25 EDT 2004

Hi Joe
Another way to define success is to write a Mission Statement.

Here is my Woodcarving Mission Statements at this point in my life.
"To occupy my spare time with the woodcarving medium, using tools with increasing proficiency, to continually improve the quality of my carvings, and to interact socially in the woodcarving community."

Just as important is what I have not included such as: winning blue ribbons or making a profit from carvings.  This is not to say that I don’t enter into competition or sell a carving or two, but I am not a professional and these are not my core values.

More important is that this Mission Statement helps me avoid a sense of failure and disappointment.  For example, when I don’t win a blue ribbon I remind myself that my goal is to continually improve, not to win.  Also, I like to be active in my club and state carving association and when my brilliant ideas don’t seam to inspire anyone I can easily get discouraged.  This is when I remind myself that my goal is to engage socially in the carving community, not to change the world.

At first I thought success was to make that perfect World Class carving.  This is not a realistic goal for me and to pursuit it would lead me to stress, frustration, and a sense of failure.

I now feel successful when I spend more time carving then watching TV, have people say nice things about my carvings, and can travel hundreds of miles and meet fellow carvers that I know.

Terry Z, Mich.