[Woodcarver] Success

chrishoward307 at bellsouth.net chrishoward307 at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 13 13:48:01 EDT 2004

    Joe what a question so many insirational answers. My ideas of success have changed in life, I think of being 25 what was most important to me then has little meaning today. Same with carving I think now at 42 I am just beginning to understand and create "My" art. That niche that makes us all unique. 10 years ago it was just be good enough to become a full time carver.Success has came from places I didnt realize when I started carving full time. The first carvings were flowers When I was 9 and 10 were done to impress girls not hardly as inspirational as Bill...grin. When I began to carve full time I want to become the best I could be a struggle I feel will follow me till I depart this life. God gives us all seeds of talent and leaves it up to us what to make of it. Back to success One level of success I have found I can create something from my heart,my deepest emotion and express it in wood this is something no one can take from me and I can share it with others. I am just know getting the the level to where I feel can "create art" and this is success for me. I still carve what I have to, to pay bills but I also have something that I put back to challenge me that is my art and I dont care if it ever sells its mine. Another success is teaching what a blessing this is becoming to share with other and to hopefully help them in some way. I get so much more from the ones I teach than I can possibly give. Even to be considered a teacher is a great success. My goal is to be the best I can be but success I find every day.
       I dont think we should ever lower expectationions if my 1st wife had she might have kept me, then I would have never found my 2nd which is the day God smiled on me.
Chris Howard
gatlinburgartist.com